Men’s Winter League Round 3

After their disappointing but close 1-3 loss to Division 3 leaders Peppard 1 in the previous round, our Men’s 1st Team maintained their challenge for promotion with a second 4-0 win, this time against  Twyford 2.  John Phillips & Jonathon Blatchford lost just 3 games all morning, winning 6-0 6-2 against Jonny Worral & Gerard Stewart and 6-0 6-1 against Nicholas Webb & Ludovic Couillard.  It took James Brennan & David Smith a bit longer to get into their stride but, after winning their first set 7-5 against Webb & Couillard, they then took the second 6-0 and finished by winning 6-2 6-3 against Worral & Stewart.

In Division 5E, Men’s 2 travelled to Ascot to play their 2nds and were unlucky not to come away with more than a point after a close match that finished 2-2 with the home side winning on games.  David Stone & Matt Paxton dropped their first set 4-6 against the home first pair Dion Taylor & Adrian Camp but did well to battle back in the second, winning it 7-6 and then taking the deciding tie-break.  Jim Hawes & Anthony Hayes had a similar match against Ashley Miles & Chris Stoddart, losing the first set 3-6 and winning the second 7-6 but they lost the deciding tie-break.  In the second round, Hawes & Hayes won 6-4 7-6 against Taylor & Camp but Stone & Paxton lost 2-6 5-7 to Miles & Stoddart to make the result 2-2 with Ascot winning by 48 games to 42.

After their battle in the wind at Chieveley in the previous round where they gained their first point, Men’s 3 were hoping for a better result in their home match against Bracknell 6 in Division 6W.  However, once again they came away with just a single point, although this time they were a gnat’s whisker away from claiming all 3.  Mike Smith & Vince Brooks, playing as 2nd pair for Crowthorne found themselves facing the former Crowthorne player, Robbie Robinson paired with a very talented 16-year old, Jamie Lloyd-Jenkins.   They didn’t win their first point until the 3rd game and came away relatively pleased to have lost the rubber 3 and 2 when it looked as though it would be a lot worse.  Meanwhile, Peter Lindholm & Ben Grainger lost a close first set 6-7 against Nigel Hayward & another youngster, Rowan Sinclair, but they won the second 6-3 and took the deciding tie-break.  Playing in difficult conditions due to the sun, Smith & Brooks went on to clinch the first set 7-6 against Haywood & Sinclair and followed up with the second 6-2.  It now depended on the result of the final rubber to decide whether it would be 1, 2 or 3 points to the home team.  Having won the first set 6-4 against Robinson & Lloyd-Jenkins, things looked good for Lindholm & Grainger, but they lost the second by the same score and then, agonisingly, lost the deciding tie-break.  With the score tied at 2-2 on rubbers, 5-5 on sets and 41-41 on games, Brooks & Grainger teamed up to play a shootout tie-break against Robinson & Lloyd-Jenkins but lost it 6-10.