Three wins for men in Round 5

Men’s 1 had an excellent 4-0 win at home against Wargrave 2 in Division 3 to keep them in contention for promotion a point behind Maidenhead 4.  Jon Blatchford and John Phillips started with an excellent 6-4 6-3 win against Atro Autio and Charles Freeman while James Brennan and Russell Finch overcame a tricky start to win 7-6 6-2 against Christopher Brims and Jon McCarthy.  Blatchford and Phillips continued their good form in the second round dropping just one game against Brims and McCarthy and Brennan and Finch made it a whitewash beating Autio and Freeman 6-4 6-4.

Men’s 2 were away against Bracknell 4 in Division 5E and they would also have won 4-0 had they taken all three of the deciding tie-breaks they played instead of just two.  Chris Torkington and Jim Hawes started with an excellent 6-3 6-1 win against the experienced Tim Kingcott and Danny Miller but Matt Paxton and Ben Grainger were unlucky to lose their deciding tie-break against Simon Lloyd-Jenkins and Robbie Robinson after losing the first set 4-6 and winnning the second by the same score.  They made amends in the second round, however, beating Kingcott and Miller 4-6 6-1 1-0 while Torkington and Hawes won another tight rubber 6-2 5-7 1-0 against Lloyd-Jenkins and Robinson to make the score 3-1 to the Crowthorne team.  They now head the division, a point clear of Maidenhead 5 with two matches to play.

Away against Wargrave 4 in Division 6W, the 3rds found themselves level on rubbers, sets and games for the second time in the season.  However, having lost the shootout against Bracknell 6, they won it against Wargrave to keep them a point above the relegation zone with two matches to play.  David Stone and Vince Brooks survived a tough first rubber against Mark Shaw and Paul McDonald, winning 6-4 5-7 1-0 but Mark Callaghan and Stuart Fowler lost 4-6 4-6 to James Aston and Tony Rudelhoff.  Another close match saw Callaghan and Fowler lose 7-6 1-6 0-1 to Shaw and Macdonald but a strong performance from Stone and Brooks, winning 6-3 6-1 against Aston and Rudelhoff levelled the score.  At match point in the shootout, David Stone hit the winning final shot only to pull a leg muscle badly and hobble off in pain in victory!